Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Dear All,
Well here it is..Ash Wednesday....the beginning of the season of Lent in the church.
Time for the old lists to come out.. to do the usual this time of year.. to"give up" something as usual.. or to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.
For me..I love this season..this lent.. this time to turn inward,a time of metanoia..meaning to bend to turn...
We need to do this..this looking inward..to see not only who we are now in God's eyes. but to see who we can BECOME in God's sight.
This whole preparation time of lent and introspection..and remembering Jesus' sufferings,
and to compare them with what we only THINK we go through, with insight,we can become just as bright as the inside of Christ's tomb. Not the whitewashed outer shell like those pharisees of old,but shining as the sun as we DO something different for lent. Go out of our way and DO something that we normally wouldn't do.
BE that shining example of the love of Christ to someone who is desperately seeking it.
Whether it's a family member,a stranger, or even ourselves.
Le me close with a prayer said during lent in all eastern churches...the Prayer of St.Ephraim the Syrian.
The word Metany in the prayer...comes from the root word metanoia. to turn or bend.

O Lord and Master of my life,
Grant not unto me a spirit of idleness,
of discouragement,
of lust for power,
and of vain speaking.

(Deep Bow/Metany)

But bestow upon me, Thy servant,
the spirit of chastity,
of meekness,
of patience,
and of love.

(Deep Bow/Metany)

Yea, O Lord and King,
grant that I may perceive
my own transgressions,
and judge not my brother,
for blessed art Thou
unto ages of ages.

Deep Bow/Metany)
Amen.

Lenten Blessings to all of you!!!!

+Mel

No comments: